Subaru WRX S4 tS revealed
Subaru Tecnica International, or STI, has announced a Japan-only limited-edition 221kW and 400Nm Subaru WRX S4 tS.
BUILT TO CELEBRATE Subaru’s victory in the SP3T class at the 2015 and 2016 Nurburgring 24-hour race, the Subaru WRX S4 tS goes on-sale today in Japan only until March 12, 2017. “In pursuit of driving performance, the WRX S4 tS inherits some expertise of the S207 which stands at the pinnacle of the STI complete car lineup. The model also adopts advanced safety features such as the EyeSight driver assist technology,” Subaru said in a statement.
The WRX S4 tS has seen the engineers tweak the engine to boost torque by 10% thanks to a modified air intake/exhaust parts, while an added oil cooler improves cooling performance of the Sport Lineartronic CVT. Yes, a CVT. Shudder.
STI said it had improved handling of the WRX S4 tS by adding a flexible tower bar, DampMatic II front suspension with adjustable damping, and front-rear Active Torque Vectoring. Braking performance has also been enhanced with Brembo opposed-piston 4-pot brakes at the front, standard-fit brakes continue at the back.
The outside of the thing has also been worked on. And the limited-edition model gets STI-designed BBS 19-inch forged aluminum wheels, cherry red pinstripe on the mesh-type front grille and rear bumper, large front under-spoiler, black roof antenna (shark fin type), while the interior features STI-spec Recaro front bucket seats and an “exclusively-made luminescent speedometer”.
WRX S4 tS Key Features
Suspension / Mechanism
- Exclusive performance muffler with lowered back pressure (featuring STI logo) teamed with exclusive rear exhaust pipe
- STI-designed low-pressure-drop air cleaner element
- CVT oil cooler and strengthened radiator fan
- Exclusive STI-tuned Bilstein front struts (DampMatic® II, inverted-type) and coil springs
- Exclusive STI-tuned Bilstein rear dampers and coil springs
- Exclusive 255/35R19 92Y tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT)
- STI-designed Brembo front 17-inch opposed-piston 4-pot ventilated brake calipers (with STI logo)
- STI-designed flexible tower bar, front
- STI-designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI-designed pillow ball bush rear suspension link (front and rear lateral links inside)
- STI-designed flexible support subframe, rear
- STI-designed BBS 19-inch x 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
- Exclusive mesh-type front grille (cherry-red stripe with STI ornament)
- Exclusive large front under-spoiler
- Black roof antenna (shark fin type)
- Black side garnish with STI emblem
- Exclusive rear bumper (cherry-red stripe)
- Exclusive luminescent instruments (with multi-information display and STI logo)
- Exclusive leather-wrapped steering wheel (highly tactile leather, chrome bezel, metallic finisher, silver stitching)
- STI-designed leather-wrapped shift knob (with STI logo)
- STI-designed push-type engine switch (red with STI logo)
- Exclusive STI-spec Recaro front bucket seats (leather [black semi-aniline finish on inside of main and side panels, silver stitching and accents] embossed with STI logo and equipped with seat heating and supplemental restraint system side airbags)
- Rear seats: black leather with silver stitching and accents
- Exclusive instrument panel (red with tS LIMITED EDITION logo)
- Exclusive side sill plates (with STI logo)