Ace it with Audi Driver Training
There’s few better ways to spend your time than having fun in a way that’s educational, fun, and potentially lifesaving. Welcome to Audi Driver Training.
HOW ABOUT DRIVING a premium German car, on a racetrack, on a variety of exciting courses, learning things you never knew you needed to know? We’re at Audi Driver Training to brush up on some of our car-handling skills.
To most people, the concept of driver training is an oxymoron. We tend to treat driving as a right, not a privilege, and somehow we’re all born knowing how to do it, especially the blokes. Sir Stirling Moss had it right when he remarked that there’s two things men will never admit they cannot do well – driving is one, and the other is making love. And for proof, take a look a professional motor racing. How many drivers have coaches? Pretty much nobody. What about top-level tennis, golf, swimming… you name it, there’s a coach for it. Oh, and that was proof for the attitude to driving only, we’re not touching the other skill!
- Advanced ($950) – a basic course suitable for anyone, slaloms, basic car control, track laps
- Performance ($1290) – higher speeds and more advanced vehicle placement, racing line training
- Sportscar ($3300) – in the R8 you learn more about racing lines and track work
- Race ($6500) – a full on racecar experience in an R8 LMS.
- Lifestyle – on public roads, drive a selection of new Audis behind a lead car around a local scenic area, then drop in to somewhere upmarket for lunch. As a journalist, I can definitely say that you need to spend more time with a car than just the usual test drive you get from a dealer, and you should drive the car around locations you know well. Definitely consider this if you want a new Audi, or indeed are just researching the market.
- Ice – a day at the Southern Hemisphere Proving Ground in New Zealand, sliding and drifting on groomed snow surfaces. I have done similar courses, and this has the highest fun-factor of them all!