Refreshed 2016 Mazda BT-50 on-sale
The refreshed 2016 Mazda BT-50 has arrived Down Under and gone on-sale with key tweaks to its looks and interior.
MAZDA IS HOPING its styling changes to the front and back of the 2016 Mazda BT-50 will be enough to “make Mazda’s tough utility even more attractive to buyers”. And they probably will.
The refreshed exterior sticks with the car-derived styling but hardens it giving the front-end of the BT-50, in particular, a more masculine appearance; one of its key criticisms. The front grille has been straightened while the front and rear head- and tail-lights have been redesigned.
Inside, a new centre console infotainment display has been fitted to the BT-50 which is standard on the higher-spec models, like XTR and GT models with a 7.8 inch high definition screen that includes Sat Nav. In a nod to the off-road set, HEMA maps are also available as an original equipment manufacturer exclusive factory option.
The Mazda BT-50 follows in the footsteps of the recent Ford Ranger (it’s a twin under the skin to the Ranger) release by offering a reversing camera as standard on its top-spec models (XTR and GT) and making it a cost option on the lower grade models. Watch for the backlash.
The entry grade gets a height and lumber adjustor available on the XT with bucket seat, and a lockable glove compartment is introduced on models with the bench seat. Utility models get a tailgate lock.
XTR models have a range of new additions, now coming with tubular side steps, auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers and auto on/off headlamps, while the GT also gets heated exterior mirrors that fold and include embedded indicators, and privacy glass.
The upgrades add value to the range with prices increasing by between $40 and $810 depending on the model. There are 23 New BT-50 variants available, including 10 with 4×2 and 13 with 4×4 capabilities; two diesel engine types, the MZ-CD 2.2 litre 4-cylinder and a MZ-CD 3.2 litre 5-cylinder, and a choice of either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.
Unladen and fitted with 265 tyres, the Dual Cab XTR has ground clearance of 237mm, an approach angle of 28.2-degrees, a departure angle of 26.4-degrees, and a breakover angle of 25.0-degrees.
Every 4WD Mazda BT-50 (regardless of whether its transmission is automatic or manual) has an electronically controlled, shift-on-the-fly transfer case that allows you to shift between 2WD and 4WD at any time using a switch conveniently located on the floor console. There are three driving modes: 2H (2WD high range) for all normal-road driving and for off-road driving on dry, level terrain; 4H (4WD high range) for off-road driving; and 4L (4WD low range) for more extreme off-road conditions such as steep ascents and descents, for low-speed maneuvering, and for standing starts when the vehicle is heavily loaded or towing.
The driver can shift between 2H and 4H with the vehicle moving at speeds up to 120km/h and the accelerator pedal released. To shift between 4H and 4L, the driver must stop the vehicle and press the clutch pedal (with a manual transmission) or place the shift lever in the neutral position (with an automatic transmission).
We’ll have a full off-road test of the new Mazda BT-50 in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.
- 6M 2.2L SINGLE C/CH XT 4X2 $25,570 (+ORC)
- 6A 2.2L SINGLE C/CH XT 4X2 $28,815 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L SINGLE C/CH XT 4X2 $28,815 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L FREESTYLE C/CH XT 4X2 $32,745 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L FREESTYLE C/CH XT 4X2 $34,745 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL C/CH XT 4X2 $34,745 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XT 4X2 $36,545 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XT 4X2 $38,545 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XTR 4X2 $41,630 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XTR 4X2 $43,630 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L SINGLE C/CH XT 4X4 $36,850 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L SINGLE C/CH XT 4X4 $38,910 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L FREESTYLE C/CH XT 4X4 $40,815 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L FREESTYLE C/CH XT 4X4 $42,815 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L FREESTYLE CAB UTILITY XTR 4X4 $47,675 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L FREESTYLE CAB UTILITY XTR 4X4 $49,675 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL C/CH XT 4X4 $42,815 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XT 4X4 $44,615 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XT 4X4 $46,615 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XTR 4X4 $49,700 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY XTR 4X4 $51,700 (+ORC)
- 6M 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY GT 4X4 $51,790 (+ORC)
- 6A 3.2L DUAL CAB UTILITY GT 4X4 $53,790 (+ORC)