Car News

Lexus to join V8 Supercars in 2015

Lexus is expected to announce today (Feb 6) that its 2015 RC-F will become the new safety car for the 2015 V8 Supercars Championship.

THE ANNOUNCEMENT is expected to take place at noon today at Sydney Motorsport Park after V8 Supercars issued a note to media suggesting it would be announcing “a major new brand to join the grid in 2015”.

While details are still relatively thin on the ground, it’s expected, after Lexus Australia’s boss Sean Hanley told media last year, including Practical Motoring, that it was interested in the V8 Supercars category.

In November, Hanely said : “It’s definitely flagged my interest that should eligibility for V8 Supercars change, it’s something we would consider”. Well, the rules have changed and the two-door Lexus RC-F would become eligible for the ‘Supercars’ series from 2017 under the recent Gen2 announcement.

UPDATE : Lexus will also supply a GS 350 F Sport and an IS 350 F Sport as the championship’s official course and medical cars as part of the new agreement with V8 Supercars, Lexus announced today.

Lexus Australia boss Sean Hanley said the partnership with V8 Supercars was a fitting match for the brand. “V8 Supercars is the world’s leading touring car series and our involvement as supplier of vehicles reflects the new energy in our brand and our dynamic model lines,” Mr Hanley said.

“This partnership is also the perfect opportunity to show Australian motorsport fans the new RC F, which is just as suited to driving on a track as it is on the road.”


Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Isaac Bober

Isaac Bober