BMW X5 Price, Specs and Release Date
The all-new BMW X5 will go on-sale here in November with prices starting at $112,990+ORC for the xDrive30d.
The all-new 2019 BMW X5 will go on-sale in Australia in November with just two variants available, the xDrive30d and M50d. Prices run from $112,990+ORC to $149,900+ORC, respectively. You can read Practical Motoring’s first drive review of the new X5 HERE.
The biggest change with the X5 is the new grille which features an air flap on the inside to improve cooling and fuel efficiency. And, on the M50d there are BMW Laser headlights as standard. A panoramic roof is fitted as standard across the range which is 30 per cent bigger than the old car’s glass roof.
On the inside, the X5 offers what BMW calls its Live Cockpit Professional system which uses two 12.3in screens – one for the digital instrument cluster, the other as a ‘Control Display’ – which gives the appearance of merging into a single unit. Live Cockpit Professional can be accessed via its touchscreen capability, the familiar iDrive Touch Controller, via natural voice control or with BMW’s Gesture Control and is standard on all X5s.
Standard sports seats, electrically-adjustable with memory function, are trimmed in ‘Vernasca’ leather, while a ‘Travel & Comfort’ system introduces 2 x USB connections in the front-row seat backrests, giving you four USB outlets in total.
Compared to its predecessor the all new X5 is 36mm longer, 66mm wider and 19mm taller, while the wheelbase is 42mm longer. The rear tailgate splits into two sections, with each segment electrically controlled for the first time. Luggage capacity is 645 litres, expanding to 1860 litres with the second-row seats folded flat.
An M Sport Package is a cost option for the BMW X5 xDrive30d and it introduces sportier suspension settings with specific damper tuning. Comfort and Sport tunes are more dynamically focused.
Both BMW xDrive30d and M50d variants can be optioned with an Adaptive 2-axle air suspension package. This introduces a self-levelling pneumatic suspension setup that can be adjusted to five different ride height levels, with a total movement of 80mm (40mm higher or lower than standard height). The rear of the vehicle can also be lowered via a lower tailgate button, to aid rear compartment loading.
Available exclusively for the xDrive30d the xOffroad functionality combines the 2-axle air suspension layout with further electronically-controlled driving modes that are tuned for specific off-road situations.
Buyers can choose from five no-cost option interior trim finishers, along with two BMW Individual options (fine-wood Ash Grain in high-gloss silver Grey, or Piano Black) provide further personalisation. There are eight alloy road wheel choices available for the xDrive30d. Fitted as standard with a 20-inch V-spoke in Bicolour ferric Grey, there are two no-cost 19-inch options, an alternate 20-inch for no cost and four 21-inch alternatives (at extra cost). The M50d comes standard with a 22-inch V-spoke in Cerium Grey, with two additional 22-inch options available at no cost.
The xDrive30d is traditionally the best-seller in the X5 range and the new vehicle arrives with a latest-generation 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine making 195kW and 620Nm of torque. This is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Standard equipment for the BMW X5 xDrive30d includes:
- Comfort Access system
- Ambient Light with six configurable lighting arrays
- Driving Assistant Professional, including:
- Parking Assistant Plus, including Rear View Camera and 3D View
- Connected Package Professional, including:
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function
- Front and rear Cross traffic warning
- Steering and Lane Control Assistant
- Lane keeping Assistant with Side Collision Warning Crossroads warning
- Evasion Aid
- Connected Package Professional, including:
- Remote services, Real-time Traffic Information, Apple CarPlay and Concierge Services
- Storage compartment package
- ‘2.5’ zone Automatic air conditioning with auto recirculated air control, microfilter, active carbon filter and solar/fogging sensors
- Through loading system with 40:20:40 split
- DAB+ digital radio tuner
- 10-speaker HiFi Loudspeaker system
- Adaptive LED headlights with High beam assist
- LED front fog lights
- Rear LED taillights
- Electric exterior mirrors, heated, with electric fold function
- Interior mirror with anti-dazzle function
- Rain sensor with automatic wiper and headlight activation
- The X5 xDrive30d features the strong xLine trim package as standard:
- 20-inch light alloy wheels, V-spoke style in Ferric Grey with run-flat tyres
- Sport leather steering wheel
- BMW Individual Exterior Line and roof rails in Aluminium satinated
- Chrome kidney grille frame
- Aluminium ‘Mesheffect’ dark interior trims
- Satinised aluminium Air breather surround
- Illuminated xLine door sill finishers, front
- xLine-specific exterior air inlets
- Dual chrome trapezoidal exhaust pipe finishers
- Stainless steel-style underbody protection
- xLine-specific key with chrome highlights
- M Sport Package ($4000 extra cost option) highlights include:
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels, Star-spoke style in Bicolour Orbit Grey with run-flat tyres
- M Sport brakes
- Adaptive M Suspension
- BMW Individual roof rails in high gloss Shadow Line
- Aluminium Tetragon interior trims
- M Leather steering wheel
- M Aerodynamics package
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior finishers
- BMW Individual Anthracite headliner
- M door sill finishers, front
- M Sport pedals
- M Specific instrument displays
- Air Breather in high-gloss black
- M Sport specific exhaust pipe finishers
- M exterior designation
- M Sport specific key with blue highlight
- BMW X5 M50d: The performer
The X5 M50d runs a quad-turbocharged version of the 3.0-litre six-cylinder diesel engine producing 294kW and 760Nm of torque. This is mated to the same eight-speed automatic as the xDrive30d although it’s been tweaked to handle the extra grunt.
Key specification above the xDrive30d include:
- 22-inch M light alloy wheels, V-spoke style in M Bicolour
- Soft-close door function
- Four-zone Automatic air conditioning
- BMW Individual leather instrument panel
- Front cup holders with heat and cool functions
- Seat lumbar support
- Front seat heating
- 16-speaker Harman/kardon Surround Sound system
- BMW Laserlight with BMW Selective Beam
- Metallic Paint
- M Sport brakes with blue calipers
- M Aerodynamics Package
- Cerium Grey ‘M Performance’ exterior elements