Refreshed BMW 1 Series pricing and spec announced
Big price drop for BMW M140i heads pricing and spec release for upcoming BMW 1 Series LCI due later this year.
BMW HAS ANNOUNCED pricing and specification for its lightly updated 1 Series LCI (Life-Cycle Impulse) which is due to hit showrooms this September. Headlining the change is a highly competitive price point for the flagship performance variant the BMW M140i, now priced from $59,990+ORC, that sees it compete at a price point closer to popular hot hatches such as the Ford Focus RS ($50,990+ORC) and Volkswagen Golf R ($52,990+ORC).
As par for the course with most BMW LCI updates, the exterior styling has only received minor tweaks. A new premium colour, Sunset Orange metallic, has been introduced along with Seaside Blue metallic which can be optioned to non M Sport variants. Base model, the 120i Urban Line gets new 17-inch light-alloy wheels as standard and M Sport-equipped vehicles receive two additional 18-inch light-alloy wheel options. LED headlights are now standard across all models and adaptive LED headlights come standard on the M140i.
Inside sees changes too, including an upgraded black-panel instrument cluster, high-gloss black centre stack, tweaked styling, new upholstery stitching and distinctive chrome elements for the electric window controls. All models are available with a wider range of trim finishes and all models come with BMW’s latest iDrive 6 on an 8.8-inch infotainment screen as standard (with Bluetooth, DAB+ and optional wireless Apple CarPlay).
Pricing for the range starts from $39,990+ORC for the 118i and 118d ($43,990) Sportline, which come standard with 16-inch alloys, eight-speed automatic transmission, climate control, speed limit info, rear view camera, rain-sensing wipers and sports steering wheel and seats.
Further up the range, the BMW 120i Urbanline ($45,990+ORC adds 17-inch alloy wheels, LED fog lights, front and rear parking sensors, interior lights package and Dakota leather seats.
Top of the range M140i reduces its price by almost $5000 to $59,990+ORC and remains powered by a 3.0-litre six-cylinder turbocharged engine producing 250kW at 5500rpm and 500Nm from 1520-4500rpm. Quickest of the lot, the M140i comes standard an eight-speed auto that sprints 0-100km/h in 4.6sec or 4.8sec with a no-cost option six-speed manual transmission. It can also be fitted with a raft of M Performance accessories such the LSD we tested earlier this year in the M140i Performance Edition.
The M140i LCI gets new black double-spoke 18-inch alloys and adds (over the 120i) adaptive M suspension, adaptive LED headlights, keyless entry, Dakota leather seats with electric seat adjustment and memory function, and a harman/kardon sound system.
Aggressive pricing from BMW Australia sees the M140i enter the same bracket as other hot hatches such as the Ford Focus RS, Volkswagen Golf R and upcoming Honda Civic Type R.
BMW Group Australia CEO, Marc Werner was positive the M140i’s combination of rear-wheel drive, powerful six-cylinder engine and new price point will help increase sales: “BMW Australia is especially proud of the sharpened price point for the turbocharged six-cylinder M140i, bringing its superb performance and dynamics under $60,000 for the first time,” he said.
“The BMW 1 Series remains a unique proposition in its segment, with rear-wheel drive dynamics in the best BMW tradition”.
BMW 1 Series LCI pricing (+ORCs): BMW 118i $39,990 BMW 118d $43,990 BMW 120i $45,990 BMW 125i $49,990 BMW M140i $59,990
Standard specification highlights
BMW 118i and 118d
- Sport Line
- 16-inch light-alloy wheels
- LED Headlights
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Navigation System Business with iDrive6 functionality
- Automatic climate control
- DAB+ radio capability
- Rear view camera
- Speed Limit Info
- Sports steering wheel
- Sports seats for driver and front passenger, finished in cloth upholstery
- Rain-sensing wipers
- BMW ConnectedDrive suite with ConnectedDrive services, remote services, emergency e-call and Real-Time Traffic Information
- Driving Assistant
BMW 120i (in addition to 118i)
- Urban Line
- 17-inch light-alloy wheels
- LED fog lights
- Front and rear Park Distance Control
- Interior lights package
- Dakota leather upholstery
- Extended automatic climate control
- Interior mirror with anti-dazzle function
BMW 125i (in addition to 120i)
- M Sport Package with M Sport suspension
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels
- Exterior mirrors with anti-dazzle function
- M Sport brakes
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior finish
- Navigation System Professional with 8.8-inch touch screen
- Cloth/Alcantara upholstery
- M leather steering wheel
- Eight-speed sports automatic transmission
- BMW Individual Anthracite roofliner
BMW M140i (in addition to 125i)
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels in Jet Black
- Adaptive M Suspension
- Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Selective Beam
- Comfort Access System
- Dakota leather upholstery
- Electric seat adjustment with memory function
- harman/kardon loudspeaker system