HONDA INTRODUCES MOST EXPENSIVE EVER ACCORD
AFTER CEASING global production of both the Insight and CR-Z hybrids last year, Honda has introduced an Accord Hybrid to Australia, featuring its new-generation hybrid powertrain, a ‘Sport’ badge and a $58,990 (+ORC) price tag. This makes it an eye-watering $14,000 more than the similarly equipped, four-cylinder non-hybrid Accord VTi-L with (ADAS) and a staggering $26,000 more than the similar-sized, entry model Toyota Camry Hybrid.
According to Honda Australia Director Stephen Collins, “Honda’s advanced technology delivers exceptional performance with outstanding fuel economy, ensuring our customers can have the best of both worlds.”
“The Accord Sport Hybrid further demonstrates Honda’s commitment to petrol-electric hybrid powertrains as a critical technology for reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions,” Mr. Collins said.
The Accord Sport Hybrid’s powertrain, dubbed Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive or i-MMD can switch between three drive modes: electric, hybrid and petrol engine only. The petrol engine is a 2.0L, and combined with the electric the power total is 146kW and 307Nm of torque. Fuel consumption is down to 4.6L/100km combined, with only 3.7 on the urban cycle; surpassing the Camry’s 5.2L/100km (combined). The Accord hybrid can drive entirely on electric power at low speed, similar to many other hybrids such as the Prius and Camry. By comparison, the 2.4 litre-four-cylinder (non Hybrid) Accord returns 7.9 L/100km (combined)
The engine is newly-developed and dedicated to hybrid vehicles, with an electric CVT transmission coupled with two built-in motors, lock-up clutch and high-efficiency lithium-ion battery.
Honda claim the Earth Dreams Accord Sport Hybrid is designed to deliver outstanding fuel efficiency thanks to its Earth Dreams technology while being fun to drive.
It also has Honda’s safety tech, Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS) – includes adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and anti-collision automatic braking.
The Accord Sport Hybrid has a Manufacturer’s List Price of $58,990 (excluding on-road costs).
2015 Honda accord sport hyrbid key features
• 2.0 litre DOHC four cylinder engine that works with the two-motor hybrid system to deliver combined power of 146kW and 307Nm of torque
• Fuel consumption of 4.6 litres per 100 km and 107 grams of CO2 per km (combined cycle)
• 18 inch alloy wheels
• Acoustic Alert System
• Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
• Front and rear parking sensors
• Hill Start Assist (HSA)
• Active Cornering Lights
• Electric sunroof
• LED Daytime Running Lights
• Rain-sensing auto front wipers
• Keyless entry with push button start
• Eco Assist
• Leather-appointed seats
• Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity
• In-built satellite navigation system
• Honda’s LaneWatch blind spot monitoring system
• Multi-angle reversing camera
• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
• Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
• Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)