Refreshed 2015 Hyundai i40 details and pricing
The 2015 Hyundai i40 Sedan and Tourer variants have been refreshed with new styling, seven-speed DSG and a tweaked steering system.
HYUNDAI HAS refreshed the 2015 Hyundai i40 Sedan and Tourers, headlined by the addition of an all-new 7-speed dual-clutch (DCT) automatic transmission in some models.
Featuring a new grille and projector-beam headlights/LED Daytime Running Lights in addition to its new tail-lights the lineup has two grades, Active and Premium with a choice a two-litre petrol or 1.7-litre diesel engine.
Following on from upgrades to other Hyundai passenger and SUV’s, the series II i40 now boasts a more advanced 32-bit motor-driven power steering (MDPS), replacing the previous 16-bit system.
The new steering system allowed Hyundai’s Australian chassis development team to retune the i40’s suspension, ride and handling. General Manager Product Engineering, Hee Loong Wong and his team capitalised on the new steering system, matching it with 30 different spring, damper and stabiliser bar combinations before arriving at a final setting after exhaustive on-road evaluations and computer modelling.
“We eventually settled on a combination which used a smaller front stabiliser bar to help deliver better road feedback and steering feel,” Mr Wong said. “At the same time we were able to improve the ride of both Sedan and Tourer i40 Series II variants over undulating surfaces and handling on challenging surfaces, including those with mid-corner bumps.”
Distinguishing it from the previous generation, the Series II i40’s have a new front bumper design topped with a revised, Veloster-like grille featuring matte-black horizontal slats, a U-shaped chrome surround and contrasting chrome inserts.
Also recognisable are the new projector-beam headlight units mounted in blacked-out headlight housings. The headlight units incorporate a redesigned LED strip for the daytime running lights. i40’s Series II’s LED tail-lights also have been restyled.
All i40 Series II variants boast redesigned alloy wheels. The twin-spoke-design 16-inch wheels on i40 Series II Active variants are finished in silver, while the 17-inch wheels on Premium variants use a different, twin-spoke design with dark grey painted inserts.
All Series II models come standard with a rear-view camera that is displayed in the in-dash multimedia screen. The camera adds to the i40 Series II’s standard front and rear parking sensors, helping eliminate dangerous blind spots while reversing.
Inside, the upgrades include the previous dot matrix audio system being replaced with a new 4.3-inch touchscreen system. In addition to the existing AM/FM radio, CD-player, USB/AUX inputs and MP3 compatibility, the upgraded system now offers digital iPod connectivity (previously analogue), as well as a more advanced media ripping/storage facility.
The i40 Series II range is available with either Hyundai’s Nu 2.0 GDi petrol engine (Tourer variants only), or U-II 1.7 CRDi diesel (all variants). Exclusive to the Tourer body style, the Nu 2.0 GDi petrol engine has been revised to improve low-end torque, delivering better off-the-line acceleration and real-world performance. Maximum power is 121kW at 6200rpm and maximum torque is 203Nm at 4700rpm and is mated to Hyundai’s own six-speed automatic.
Fuel consumption has also been improved by up to three percent to 7.5L/100km in the petrol-engined i40 Series II Tourer Premium models.
The 1.7 CRDi diesel engine now combines with Hyundai’s all-new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (DCT) that replaces the six-speed automatic previously found in diesel-engined i40s. The new combination offers substantially improved performance, driveability and fuel economy (now 5.1L/100km, down from 5.6L/100km).Power output for the 1.7-litre CRDi engine has increased from 100kW to 104kW at 4000rpm. Peak torque has jumped from 320Nm to 340Nm at 1750-2500rpm.
• 9 airbags (driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side (thorax), rear outboard side (thorax), full- length curtains, driver’s knee)
• Electronic Stability Control (ESC) including: Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist System (BAS), Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
• Automatic dusk-sensing headlights
• Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
• LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
• Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
• Front and rear parking assist system (8 sensors)
• Rear-view camera (NEW)
• 16-inch alloy wheels with 205/60 R16 tyres
• Keyless entry with burglar alarm
• 4.3-inch touchscreen audio system with CD player, MP3 capability, 6 speakers, media ripping/storage (NEW)
• AUX/USB audio input with digital iPod compatibility
• Bluetooth connectivity (hands-free phone & audio streaming)
• Steering wheel-mounted audio and phone controls
• Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls and speed-limiter function
• Electronic Park Brake (EPB)
• Front and rear power windows with one-touch window up/down function on driver’s window
• Heated exterior mirrors
• Height-adjustable driver’s seat
• One-touch turn signal operation
• Premium gearknob and steering wheel
• Steering wheel-mounted paddleshifters
• Tilt and telescopic steering column
• Trip computer
• Cloth interior
• LED high-mount stop light
• Manual air-conditioning with rear centre console cooling/heating ducts
• 60:40 split folding rear seats
• Cargo blind and safety barrier net (Tourer only)
• Roof rails (Tourer only)
Key specifications above Active:
• 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/50 R17 tyres
• LED front fog-lights
• 7-inch touchscreen satellite-navigation system with CD player, MP3 capability, external amplifier, seven speakers, 3 years’ HERE MapCare ™
• Dual-zone climate control with automatic windscreen defog function
• Electrochromatic (auto-dimming) interior mirror
• Electrically adjusted driver’s seat
• Heated front seats
• Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
• One-touch up/down function on all windows
• Panoramic glass sunroof
• Proximity smart key with push button start
• Rain-sensing wipers
• Smart Parking Assist System (SPAS)
• Solar glass with tinted rear privacy glass
• 4.2-inch TFT LCD colour display in instruments Supervision cluster
• Alloy pedals
• Alloy-look interior doorhandles
• Brushed aluminium-effect dashboard/door inserts
• Luggage net
• Chrome inserts in exterior doorhandles
• Leather appointed seats
• Luggage rail (Tourer only)
• Power tailgate (open and close) (Tourer only)
• Smart tailgate (hands-free opening) (Tourer only)
Sedan 1.7 CRDi Diesel 7 Speed DCT $33,090 (Active); $41,990 (Premium)
Tourer 2.0 GDi Petrol 6 Speed Automatic $32,490 (Active); $41,390 (Premium)
1.7 CRDi Diesel 7 Speed DCT $35,090 (Active); $43,990 (Premium)
* All prices are Manufacturer’s List Price. Price excludes dealer delivery and on road costs.