Limited-edition Ford Falcon Sprint pricing and details revealed
Pricing and key details for the 1400 Ford Falcon Sprint models has been released with both XR6 and XR8 variants offering more power than their garden-variety siblings.
FORD WILL OFFER just 1400 limited-edition Falcon Sprints – 550 XR6 Sprints and 850 XR8 Sprints. New Zealand will be allocated 150 units, and each vehicle will receive numbered build plates for each model – located on the engine.
“We’re excited to be able to offer our Falcon enthusiasts a car that truly represents the performance DNA of Ford,” according to Graeme Whickman, Ford President and CEO.
“The Falcon chassis is recognised for its refined ride and fantastic balance but our dedicated product development engineers have taken the opportunity to further hone the Falcon’s dynamic package – ride, body control and performance of the six cylinder turbo and V8.”
The Falcon XR6 Sprint lists from $54,990+ORC (auto only) and the XR8 Sprint from $59,990+ORC (manual) and $62,190+ORC (auto). That’s almost a $10,000 premium over the non-Sprint variants.
So, besides the name, what’s different? The Sprint models get 19-inch black wheels, upgraded Brembo brake package in gold, black headlamp bezels, a black rear deck spoiler and new front foglamp surrounds. The XR8 Sprint adds a Silhouette black painted roof and black wing mirrors.
Inside, the Falcon Sprint series gets ‘Sprint’ seats in leather/lux suede, chromatic mirror, dual-zone climate control with high-series audio, unique shifter assembly and surround and unique gauge cluster with “Sprint” logo. The manual shifter on the XR8 Sprint gains a “Sprint” labelled shifter.
So far, so not worth an extra $10k. But Ford’s engineers were also asked to have a fiddle with the engines. And they did. Both the 4.0-litre turbocharged in-line six-cylinder and supercharged 5.0-litre V8 offer more power. The turbocharged six-cylinder copped a larger intercooler, sourced the turbo and injectors from the F6, unique Sprint transmission calibration, new lower airbox, bespoke engine calibration and new larger air intake system.
The XR8 Sprint’s 5.0-litre Supercharged V8 offers 345kW at 5750rpm and 575Nm at 2220-6250rpm; an increase from 335kW and 570Nm in the standard XR8. The XR6 Sprint offers 325kW at 6000rpm and 576Nm at 2750rpm but, throw in overboost and the XR6 Sprint’s output jumps briefly to 370kW and 650Nm, while the XR8 on overboost jumps to 400kW and 650Nm.
To ensure the transmissions can cope with, and make use, of the extra power Ford’s engineers tweaked the automatic transmission’s calibration, while the XR8 Sprint takes its auto straight from the Falcon GT-F.
Key design elements on the new XR6 Sprint and XR8 Sprint are:
- New front fog-lamp surround, with cut out vent in bumper
- New stripe decal in signature hockey stick style
- New Sprint badge (Rear)
- New Sprint mudguard badge (Side)
- Indicator moved to wing mirror – body coloured for XR6
- ‘Sprint’ scuff-plates
- Black headlamp bezels
- Body coloured deck-lid Applique
- Staggered 19-inch alloy wheels in black
- Premium 6-Piston (Front), 4-Piston (Rear) Brembo Brakes in unique Gold colour
- Numbered build plates for each model – both located on the engine
- Rear Deck spoiler in black
Same features as XR6 Sprint; plus
- Silhouette black painted roof
- Black wing mirrors
XR6 & XR8 Sprint
- Unique Sprint Interior – featuring Sprint Seat Package of Leather/Lux Suede trim
- Interior Electro-Chromatic Mirror
- Interior Command Centre, including dual zone climate control and high-series audio
- Unique Shifter assembly and surround
- Manual shifter for V8 gets “Sprint” labelled shifter
- Unique Gauge Cluster with “Sprint” logo
- SYNC 2 with satellite navigation and Bluetooth connectivity