The 2014 Formula One Japanese Grand Prix was stopped short on Sunday after Marussia’s Jules Bianchi had to be airlifted to hospital after crashing and suffering a head injury.

IN A RAIN-SOAKED Japanese Grand Prix which saw plenty of drivers spin out or crash, the incident involving Jules Bianchi and the vehicles recovering Adrian Sutil’s crashed race car was the most serious. The FIA issued a statement, which reads:”On lap 42, Adrian Sutil lost control of his car, spun and hit the tyre barrier on the outside of Turn 7. The marshals displayed double waved yellow flags before the corner to warn drivers of the incident. A recovery vehicle was dispatched in order to lift the car and take it to a place of safety behind the guard rail. While this was being done the driver of car 17, Jules Bianchi, lost control of his car, travelled across the run-off area and hit the back of the tractor.

“Once the marshals reported that the driver was injured, medical teams were dispatched and the safety car was deployed. These were followed by an extrication team and an ambulance. The driver was removed from the car, taken to the circuit medical centre and then by ambulance to Mie General Hospital.

“The CT scan shows that he has suffered a severe head injury and he is currently undergoing surgery. Following this he will be moved to intensive care where he will be monitored.

“Mie General Hospital will issue an update as soon as further information becomes available.”

The internet is currently buzzing with news and there are plenty of reports stating the young French driver, Jules Bianchi, is out of surgery and breathing independently, but this hasn’t yet been confirmed by either Mie General Hospital or the Marussia team. Our thoughts are with Bianchi and his family and all here at Practical Motoring wish him a speedy recovery.


Hennessey unleashes 717hp HPE700 Mustang


2014 Renault Clio Cup Trophy review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also