Car News

2015 Suzuki Celerio recalled before local launch

The 2015 Suzuki Celerio has been recalled one day after its press launch in the UK due to brake failure during emergency brake testing by Autocar.

UK PUBLICATION Autocar was conducting an emergency brake test on the 2015 Suzuki Celerio on 30th January when the brakes failed. The test was conducted on a second car and the same thing happened.

The Suzuki Celerio went on-sale in the UK on February 1 and was to be launched in Australia this week. All right-hand drive cars for UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand have been recalled – according to Suzuki the problem does not affect left-hand drive models or right-hand drive cars in other markets.

“Several acceleration tests had been carried out on the first Suzuki Celerio, which had been driven to Millbrook from a press event the day before, prior to the 80mph emergency braking test. Ahead of that test a more gentle braking assessment had been completed successfully, in order to assess the surface conditions and general behaviour of the vehicle,” Autocar said.

“During the first full-force braking test, however, all stopping power was immediately lost upon application of the brakes. The brake pedal became stuck in the fully depressed position and had no effect on the Suzuki’s speed. No braking effort could be exerted by forcing the pedal up and reapplying it.

“The combined use of the handbrake and engine braking allowed for controlled deceleration of the Celerio to a safe stop.”

Practical Motoring has contacted Suzuki Australia for a comment and will update this article when we hear back.

UPDATE: Andrew Moore, Suzuki Australia general manager provided a brief response to Practical Motoring saying: “Suzuki Celerio has not yet launched in Australia so no customer sales at this point. We are awaiting further advice”.

Following an email to Practical Motoring, Suzuki Australia issued a general media statement, repeating what it had already told us. Here it is: “Suzuki Australia Automobiles General Manager Andrew Moore said ‘Suzuki Australia places safety as a top priority and will not begin selling Celerio in Australia until we are comfortable any possible issues are rectified'”.


Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Practical Motoring

Practical Motoring