How to enjoy camping
‘Going camping’ in Australia is seemingly in our DNA, yet many still regard it as a chore. Here’s how to enjoy camping, because it’s fun… isn’t it?
8. Walking over-excited children down to the toilet-block in the wet, cold dark night. Again. And again. And again.
- Shared endeavour – if you do things together, achieve things, then you’ll become closer and bond better in ways you can’t ever manage just sipping a coffee in a cafe. Also, how many good stories start with “We went camping and then…”?
- Cheap accommodation – camping ranges from $0 to around $50, maximum, for an unpowered site. We have spent 30 days straight camping at a cost of $150. Imagine the cost of accommodation for a family of four for 30 days over the Xmas break!
- Never need to plan – campers can roll into towns that have had their accommodation booked for months and still find somewhere to stay that night. We’ve done it many a time, and relish the flexibility.
- Million-star accommodation – how much would you pay for a room overlooking a river, or in the desert? Those rooms cost extra, but for campers it’s either free or very low cost. Cabins are designed to blend into the environment, but none approach the immersion of camping.